*HCOS Memory Challenge (Charlotte firstname.lastname@example.org ) Further details and memorization tips are also outlined in the monthly HCOS Newsletter. www.newsletter.onlineschool.ca Recitation deadline is May 30th – you can do it!
* Grade 7/8 Book club. We are also reading Eragon, and Alexandria of Africa. Our next meeting is on April 18th. Newcomers are welcome to come and join us before or after the event. Click here to register. Book club blog
*Gr. 9 & 10 Book Club with Kathy Strebchuk, presently voting on the next book to read and discuss. We have finished Eragon and Leviathan. Newcomers welcome to join. Click here to register.
*Sr. High Book Club (Gr. 11 & 12) with April McLeod. Next reading chosen by the group is Les Misérables, to discuss at the meeting on April 18th, and last but not least, The Life of Pi for May. Feel free to come in and join us for our last two books. Love to have you!! Click here to register. Book Club Blog.
*Scripture Memory Challenge Wrap-up in May – remember to recite your verses by May 31st to a non-family member and inform your support teacher to be eligible for your reward!
*Historical Trip: Barkerville - Family Learning Camp: 4 nights, 3 days, all ages welcome! June 10th- 13th. (Sorry, we are full. Due to the high interest received, this may be offered again next year around the same time.)
*Immersive Technology summer camp with Gord Holden. More details and locations TBA in March.
*French camp. Apr 20, May 18. 1-2 p.m. Contact Angela email@example.com
*Speech camp in Qualicum at St. Stephen’s Church: 6 sessions Wednesdays from 2 – 3:30 p.m. April 11, 18, (skip one week), May 2, 9, 16, 23 Contact Angela firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rocketry May 26-29 in Parksville and Nanaimo. More details TBA- for more information, contact Lonnie email@example.com
*Island Track Meet on June 15th in Nanaimo; more details and online registration coming soon.
Campbell River/ Black Creek:
*Video-Making Workshop on March 13th at the Salvation Army Building in Courtenay from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Courtenay Video-Making Workshop Registration Bring a digital camera, iPad, iPod, iPhone or laptop (PC or Mac). Note: the Black Creek location has been cancelled, pre-registered students are encouraged to sign up for the Courtenay location instead. Thanks for your understanding.
* Rocketry May 23 – 25 in Black Creek and Campbell River. A)Black Creek, please click here to register b) Campbell River, please click here to register.
*Stay tuned for upcoming events.
*Outdoor Adventure Sessions in spring with Chris Moore, 2-hour sessions. Dates: March 29th at Soames Park (times TBA), April date TBA. For more info contact Carrie firstname.lastname@example.org
*Field Trip to Powell River Historical Museum, Willingdon Beach Nature Trail Walk and beach picnic in May. More details TBA – Marie email@example.com
* Vancouver Art Gallery Tour and Workshop, March 26, 12:15 pm – one hour tour of the “Collecting with Intent” exhibition. For Grades 4 – 12 to a maximum of 30 students. (registration is now closed, waitlist only contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
*Rocketry Camp in Abbotsford March 12th – 14th from 10:00 – 12:00 tentatively (2 classroom days and a launch day); Click here to register.
*Woodworking II in Pitt Meadows area from March 28th to May 9th 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. (skipping April 25th due to CHEC convention). One spot still open, if interested contact Bill Marsh: email@example.com
*Songwriting with Steve Codling March 29th 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.: Learn how to write a song from ground up. Topics covered will include Chord Progressions, Song Structures, Lyrics, Melody, Instrumentation/Arranging and Recording Technology. It's not as much of a mysterious black box as you might think! Suitable for grades 6-12; (registration is now closed, waitlist only firstname.lastname@example.org)
*MarketDay™ Adventures – Thursdays April 19 – May 24 + MarketPlace™ Day. Abbotsford Free Church. Allana email@example.com
*MarketDay™ Adventures in Coquitlam – Fridays, April 20 – June 8 + MarketPlace™ Day. Location TBA. Leona firstname.lastname@example.org
*Arts Fair in May for Grades K-9+. More details TBA.
*Sports Day for Lower Mainland June 4th; Click here to register
*D.A.R.E. program 3 sessions, March 30th, April 13th, April 20th Penticton. Suitable for grades 5-7. Min. 10 students, Max. 30 students. HCOS student cost: $15. Click here to register.
*INTRODUCTION TO CANADIAN ARTISTS with Kathleen Bird
· Grades 7 to 10
· Thursday: April 12, 19, 26, May 3, 10, 17
· 1:00 to 3:00
*ART BASICS 101 – SPRING SESSION with Kathleen Bird
· Grades 7 to 10
· Thursday: April 12, 19, 26, May 3, 10, 17
· 3:30 to 5:00
*R U READY 2 RUMBLE? GYM GAMES with Lise Halvorson
· Grades 7 to 12
· Fridays: May 4, 11, 18, 25, 1, 8
· 12:30 to 2:30
*Family Fun Day and Track Meet on June 15th at Polson Park in Vernon. More details TBA.
*Intermediate level French; concluding with performing a play in French at the end of May. January 12th – May 17th; Grade 7 level French a prerequisite. New students welcome. Contact Sarah at email@example.com
*Spring Drama Learning Camp with instructor, Sheila Dyer
Session A - March 26, April 2, 16, 23, 30, May 7;
Session B - May 14, June 4, 11, 18, 25
· Grades 4 – 6: 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. (continued)
ü Session A – “Working Together to Get the Job = Fun!”
ü Session B – “Who Are You and Who Are They?”
· Grades 7 – 9: 11:00 – 12:00 noon
ü Session A – “Creating Something Extraordinary through Drama!”
ü Session B – “Who Do You Relate to, in Your World?”
· Grades 10 – 12: 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.
ü Session A – “Taking Chances, Building Confidence, Having Fun”
ü Session B – “Now, Let’s Really Get into It!”
*“Art Lessons in a Variety of Mediums” featuring cartooning, with artist Heather Parlane.
· Four Mondays starting April 2, 2012 Time: 2 pm - 3 pm Mondays Grades 4 – 8 (ages 9 -13) Sign up Mon.
· Four Tuesdays starting April 3, 2012 Time: 10 – 11am Tuesdays Grades 4 – 8 (ages 9 -13) Sign up Tues. Gr. 4-8
· Four Tuesdays starting April 3, 2012 Time: 11:30 – 12:30 Tuesdays Grades 1 – 4 (ages 6 – 8) Sign up Tues. Gr. 1-3
· Four Wednesdays starting April 4, 2012 Time: 10 – 11:00am Wednesdays Grades 4 – 8 (ages 9 -13) Sign up Wed.
Please register using one of the links above. If they do not work, please contact Roberta at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Art Lessons in a Variety of Mediums” taught by Heather Parlane – Art of the Ancients – will be offered on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in May (possibly also in June.) Contact Roberta email@example.com
*Highland Dance. 6 weeks Tuesdays March 27 – May 1st. Ages 3 – 5 from 1:00 – 1:30 p.m.; ages 6 – 10 from 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. Click here to register
* Local Wildlife EcoTour in early May – focusing on ecosystems and habitats of local wildlife. Contact Wendy firstname.lastname@example.org
*Skating possibility mid March. Contact Olga email@example.com*Electricity Camp possibility for