If you have not enjoyed the advantages of audio books, here are a few reasons why you need to partake...
- Audiobooks can take students to the next reading level, introducing advanced vocabulary, whilst modelling higher level reading. Statistics have shown that students who listen to more advanced literature will have an improved vocabulary as a result, and will recognize the words on the page faster if they have heard it before.
- They may introduce new genres, and help Dyslexic students understand the nuance of humour.
- They may help students understand in-congruencies in dialects/language like works on Shakespeare.
- Provide a space for multi-age students and family to bond together over the joy of reading classics like Charlotte's Web, or Oliver Twist.
- Audiobooks provide a bridge not only for struggling readers, but also for gifted readers.
- Audiobooks are a wonderful tool for listening pleasure in the car, on the way to a soccer game, or on a family holiday.
Here are a few of my favourites taken from our e library, (images derived from HCS Overdrive library):